Become a puppy volunteer
Are you keen to enrich the lives of others, and to be part of a community dedicated to raising a puppy to support those with disabilities?
We are looking for volunteer puppy raisers in the Whangarei area.
As a puppy volunteer, you will play an important role in developing and maintaining the training of a Mobility Dog which is fun and rewarding – plus you get to enjoy quality time with a super pup in the making.
You will welcome a puppy that is training to be a Mobility Dog into your home and life. It will be a commitment of around 12 months.
To be selected as a puppy volunteer, you will need the following:
- A fully fenced section or an area that is fully fenced at home for the puppy to access.
- To either own your own home or have written permission from your landlord.
- Be committed to following training guidelines that will often differ to those of a pet dog.
- To not work more than 20 hours a week and have the time to focus on your puppy one on one.
- Be prepared to meet and train with other puppy raisers and your trainer across the Whangarei area on a weekly basis, as well as take your puppy to all appropriate social and work events that we recommend.
- To ensure your pup will be supervised either at home or at work every day as they cannot be left alone for long periods of time.
Mobility Dogs will provide:
- The cost of caring for your puppy, such as vet care, food, a crate, feeding bowls and toys.
- Access and support from our trainer in your area.
If you can commit to all of the above and are interested in becoming a puppy volunteer, then email Corinna at Mobility Dogs today!